Monday, May 16, 2011

By request: Semi-formal, a recounting.

My lovely brother (long story, but she is and always has been a girl both body and soul) Bika-chu has suggested that I recount to you all the story of my school semi-formal. So, here it is, from the point of view of... well, me.

The night started off with everyones grand entrance to the... well, it was the parking lot really. Exclamations rang out, compliments bouncing around. The theme: Mardi Gras, so many were wearing splendid masks covered in glitter and sparkles. I believe every girl was in a dress, and some of the guys bothered to wear dress pants... some did not. Me? I was dressed in a gold strapless dress. I was told that I looked naked from a distance, but I still like that dress.

The music started at around 7:30, the DJ playing both the same old pop songs we've been hearing since 7th grade and some fun new ones and classics (I recall hearing YMCA as well as Single Ladies). I payed little attention to the music however, flocking to the food with my friends. Chocolate covered strawberries were devoured at lightning speed. I had a piece of pie (that I later discovered dripped on my dress) and I watched my date, Nico, devour 7 small egg shaped white chocolate cakes.

Outside, it was cold but still light out for a little while. Out there, I was able to talk Nico into dancing with me to a slow song we could hear from the dance floor. Mostly, people were just talking outside and I believe I saw some people attempt to play basketball for a short time. Some of the girls were gathered together to take a picture just before the last of the daylight faded away. This is pictured below.

Picture taken on Angelynn Jose's camera that was held by Alex Salcedo.
And, as we must do at every dance I attend, we played truth or dare. Pretty uneventful unless you care to see my screaming into hats in front of teachers, find out how often guys have sex with themselves, or have some sick desire to see me kissing my boyfriend. Really, I hope you have desires for none of the above. Truth or dare eventually faded into a game of Shoot, Shag, Marry, and later shifted back. Sadly, there were no proposals of marriage this year.

At some point, I was inside and got ripped off for a very crappy "prom" photo that looks both beautiful and incredibly awkward at the same time. A cropped version of this can be seen below.

I beg you not to make fun of this picture more than I do... or comment on why his tie is undone. It's a long story.


The rest of my night was spent shivering outside at a table, clinging to Nico for warmth and cursing myself for not wearing tights. The table covering was torn to pieces, decorative Silly Bands were flung around and/or broken, and some people continued to dance. Speaking of dancing, everyone on the dance floor were at one point seen line dancing (or possibly trying to communicate with the home planet).

For personal reasons, I would say the night was pretty epic. Everyone had different reasons to enjoy the night, everyone loving the excuse to have a big party together. Dances were had, saliva was exchanged (or so I am told ;3), shoes were discarded, cakes were eaten, pictures were taken. Monday evening and I am still dying to go back to Saturday night and relive this night again.

"We can dance until we die, you and I will be young forever. You make me feel like I'm living a teenage dream the way you turn me on." - Teenage Dream by Katy Perry.



3 comments:

  1. It doesn't seem like I missed much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've got to agree with Sarah. Sounded exactly like the night I told you guys I would rather not be there for.
    Glad you got to swap spit, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well it was a lot more fun for people who like dancing. becca would've hated it. i had the time of my life. ^-^

    ReplyDelete